Sunday, February 6, 2011

Çamlıça Hill

 

When I get to a new place I always like to find a way to the highest point I can find. This gives me a bird’s eye view of the new city or area that I’m in and helps me figure out where I am and helps me get situated. Usually this is as simple as finding a tower or tall building and often just as easy as walking uphill until I find a good view.

While reading about Istanbul I read about a hill in Kadıköy called Çamlıça hill. So, while I was in Kadıköy one day I decided to try and find it. I had read that it was about an hour away so I studied a map and headed out one afternoon.

Finding the hill was actually really easy. It’s the tallest hill around so the top is covered with several radio and cell-phone towers which can be see from most of Istanbul. And yes, in order to find it I just kept walking up-hill!

On my way up the hill I passed by lots of fancy and gated communities who had great views of all of Istanbul from their windows. There was a really nice public park on top of the hill but there weren’t many people enjoying it because the weather was so cold!

The hike up the hill took a little while but I was rewarded with a wonderful view of the entire city. The sky was a little overcast and it was pretty cold and windy but I was still able to see a pretty good view.