Saturday, November 27, 2010

Local Burger




When I traveled through Los Angeles on my way to meet up with the crew in Indonesia I made sure to find an In-N-Out while I was in town. In-N-Out is a fast food chain that is only on the west coast and has been rated one of the top fast-food restaurants in the country. Since I had heard so much about their food I was really happy to be able to stop at one. When I found one I could easily tell how popular this restaurant is by the long line of cars that stretched all the way across the shopping area parking lot at it was mid-afternoon, not even when most people eat a meal! There was also an employee who directed traffic and walked from car to car to take orders and radio them back to the kitchen to speed up the process. The menu at In-N-Out is very simple and not with much variety but what they offer is very, very good with fresh ingredients. I have to saw that the burger that I ordered did live up to its claim to fame and was probably one of the best fast-food burgers I’ve had!





Here in Malaysia there are fast-food restaurants such as McDonalds, KFC, and even a few local brands, but there aren’t any In-N-Out restaurants. That’s okay though because we’ve found something I like much better. It’s known as a local burger and can be found at most night markets where Malaysians go to get dinner. Like a lot of the food stalls I’ve found on the side of the roads these ones only offer one dish, although you can get several different types of burger. They are cooked on a flat stove, their buns are toasted, and they can come with coleslaw, cucumbers, egg, cheese, mayonnaise, special sauce, black pepper. They aren’t very expensive and you can get patties of chicken, fish, beef or even rabbit! And if you want you can get a double which comes with two patties. The person working the local burger stall makes them as soon as you order and even though there isn’t a drive through we seen cars lined up on the side of the road as they wait for their turn to get out and order. The burgers are big, messy, and delicious! Some have even been served with a fork and spoon if things get too messy. A single chicken burger costs less than 3 Ringgit and a burger with only fried egg cost only 1.20 Ringgit!





There you have it! Two delicious and very different burgers from two very different parts of the world!