Sunday, November 21, 2010

Cendol!



Before I visited the historic town of Malacca for a day I read about a popular dish served there called cendol. It’s a traditional desert in Southeast Asia and can be prepared different ways depending on where you get it but is based on coconut milk, a jelly made of rice flour and green food coloring, palm sugar, shaved ice, and often red beans or corn. Sounds like a strange mixture, and it is, but it was actually very good when I tried it! It’s similar to a very sweat snow cone with coconut cream. There were several street vendors and shops selling cendol in Malacca and it quickly became a favorite treat of mine, especially after sightseeing in the hot sun for a few hours. I ended up getting it three times while I was in Malacca (it was a very hot day) and I’m looking forward to trying different versions of cendol as we continue traveling!